Thursday, August 23, 2012

Introductions are in order.

Once, there was a blog about all the cool art that kids can make....

I have decided to jump on the blog train, and start my own elementary art blog. My name is Holly Briggs. I am currently an elementary school Art teacher in East Tennessee. I have been teaching art in public schools for 9 years, starting in 2003. The past 7 of those years have been spent in a small low SES school, nestled in the heart of East Tennessee. We have approximately 300 students, and they come to art every 3 days. It should be noted, as well, that my school is an arts integrated school. All the subjects are correlated through the arts, weaving dance, music, art, and drama into the core curriculum. Art and Music incorporate math, science, social studies, and language arts into our projects. This approach to education strives to create a holistic learner.

I am amazed every day with the creativity, drive, and imagination of children. I strive to teach projects that reinforce critical thinking, questioning, reasoning, and curriculum integration. No "hand turkey" and "macaroni wreaths" here! I teach in a state and national standards classroom, and incorporate as many core curricular subjects as I can into each of my art lessons. It is important to remove the stigma attached to art teachers, as the baby sitter or an island within their school. The arts are a vital component to a creative and critical thinker.

Through this blog, I hope to share lesson ideas, my thoughts on teaching and education, and showcase the talents of our students. I am open to comments, suggestions, collaboration, and feedback.

.... And awaaaaay we gooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment