Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mythical Maps - 4th grade

I just want to say, first off, that I LOVE making maps. Once, after a particularly spirited read of some Tolkien, I made a map of Middle Earth. I did. I'm a nerd. I'll admit it. I dyed some canvas and used pen and ink at my kitchen table for days and days. In the end, however, I had an amazing map. It's now hanging in my living room, to impress all of my nerdy friends.

That being said, kids love maps as much as I do! We look at examples of old historic maps off the internet, talk about pirates, and mythical islands. Kids love this stuff! The best part is that we can incorporate 3rd grade Science standards. Here, let me show you.

Standards:
Tennessee Art Standards:
1.5  Recognize and demonstrate levels of craftsmanship. 
3.1  Select and demonstrate subject matter, symbols, and ideas in one’s own artwork.   
6.2  Identify connections between visual art and science.
    
Tennessee Science Standards:  
GLE 0307.7.1 Use information and illustrations to identify the earth’s major landforms and water bodies, and be able to identify these on a map 

Look at that! It's like the Science standard was just written for ART class! Two birds, one stone! So, I started class out with a tour of the planet on Google Earth. We looked at islands out in the middle of the South Pacific ocean. I zoomed in, and lead the students in a discussion, identifying key landforms and bodies of water. After the visual tour of islands, students and I brainstormed as many landforms and bodies of water that we could think of, and I wrote them on the board.

Prior to this lesson, I spoke with the 4th grade teachers and asked them map skills that needed reinforcement. They asked that I review key and compass. I added these to the goals of my project.

After this introduction and brainstorming session, we had just a few minutes of class left. I gave every kid a piece of paper and instructed them to rip the edges off and crumple the paper. We slipped the paper into a bucket of shallow water, where I placed 6 or so tea bags. I let the paper from each class sit for a couple of hours, and before leaving for the day- I laid the paper out to dry on the tables overnight. Viola! Old looking paper!


Tea Stained Paper
Weird contrast, but you get the idea.

 During the next lesson, we traced templates to make a key, drew out our mythical islands, and a compass. Students were required to create at least 3 landforms and 3 bodies of water. These were to be written out and indicated on the back of the student's paper.



I gave kids colored pencils, explained the purpose of the key, and turned them loose. Students were encouraged to be as creative and unique as possible. They could name their islands and cities, color in the maps, and create interesting mythological places. I was pleasantly surprised by how many of the kids drew volcanos! Ha. Here are some "work in progress" shots, as well as finished projects. I definitely feel that kids are more familiar with landforms/bodies of water, as well as cool art techniques and processes. Like I said, art integration is key!

Work in progress.
Finished project!





1 comment:

  1. Hey life twin :)
    What kind of paper did you use? Looking to do this as we are studying the 500th anniversary of Ponce de Leon, I thought of this!

    ReplyDelete